Zalantar, also called the blackwood, is an odd tree that is usually found in Chult or other southern areas. Its pure black wood is coveted for building because it is durable but not a hard wood. Weapons and shields made from zalantar have the following properties:
- Shields (except Heavy Shields, see notes  below) receive a +2 armor modifier. This counts as an item property. This property will be overwritten/superseded if you add another item property that gives an enhancement bonus to the item.
- Light shields, Heavy shields and Tower shields have -5%, -5% and -10% chance of arcane spell failure, respectively. This counts as another item property.
- Bows have Mighty +2
- Crossbows have attack bonus +1
- Clubs and Spears inflict +1 magical damage
- Staves inflict +1 electrical damage
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Crafting any weapon or shield out of Zalantar adds 10 to its difficulty class.
- As of v 1.23 of the game (if not earlier) there is a bug in the game where heavy shields crafted from Zalantar will not be given the additional +2 armor modifier. They will still receive a -5% chance of spell failure. Heavy shields crafted from Zalantar thusly have only one (1) item property and may be further enchanted as normal.