Requires training: Yes
- equip restricted items: 11 points
- use restricted wand: 10 points
- use restricted scroll: generally 11 + 2x spell level
On hardcore rules, an additional successful UMD roll is required to cast a spell from a scroll: UMD [skill + 1d20] vs. [25 + spell level] or the casting fails.
Use: Automatically applied whenever a character attempts to use or equip an item normally unusable by his class, race, or alignment.
- The UMD skill has changed significantly with game patches. This page now reflects the latest game version 1.023.
- Unlike in NWN1, the player can now gain ranks in Use magic device with any class.
- 11 points are reasonably easy to achieve, even as a cross-class skill. E.g., at character level 13: 8 base skill points + 3 skill focus + 0 charisma modifier.
- The scroll casting UMD check is difficult. E.g., a level 20 bard with 30 points UMD (23 base + 7 points charisma modifier) may still fail casting high-level spells.
- Some scrolls have slightly different UMD values than expected from the spell level.
- No UMD check is required to cast spells from scrolls that have level that is normally too high. E.g., a level 1 Cleric can cast level 9 Cleric spells from scrolls without UMD check.
- Note that UMD does NOT allow a character to use weapons or armour for which they lack proficiency. For example, a Wizard can NOT use a magical warhammer just because he has UMD.
- Note: Tiny races like Deep Gnome STILL can not use Longbow even with approriate UMD.
- If a character needs to have Use magic device to equip a wearable item and if that character must use either a Charisma or skill boosting item, spell, or effect to equip the item using the Use magic device skill, that character may un-equip the item upon area transfers.