The search skill lets a character discern some small detail or irregularity through active effort, such as secret doors, traps, hidden compartments, and other details not readily apparent.
Requires training: No
Check: You normally make search checks within a distance of 5 feet, but can increase this to 10 feet when in search mode. Search checks for traps are made against a DC of the setter's trap skill and a value in accordance with the strength of the trap.
Special: Only rogues may detect traps with a DC greater than 35;
- 5 ranks in search gives a +2 synergy bonus to survival;
- An elf behaves as though in search mode all the time with no penalty to movement;
- An elf additionally receives +2 racial bonus to this skill;
- A a half-elf receives +1 racial bonus to this skill;
- A dwarf or a deep gnome receives +2 racial bonus to this skill, only when inside or underground;
- A druid receives a +2 bonus to this skill, only when in a wilderness area, due to nature sense.
- Trap detection is within 5 meters and increasing to 10 meters or 1 tile when in Detect mode.( 5 feet in game is less than Touch range).