Sacred Fists are independent organizations found within many temples. Their ascetic members have turned their divine magic inward, bringing their bodies and wills into harmony. Sacred Fists have forsworn the use of weapons and heavy armor. They consider their bodies and minds gifts from their deity, and they believe that not developing those gifts to their fullest potential is a sin. Spellcasting does not dishonor them or their deity. Sacred Fists are strong in faith, will and body.
Clerics are excellent candidates for Sacred Fist orders. Paladins may also choose to join them, but are seldom comfortable surrendering the trappings of their calling. Fighters, rogues, bards and even ex-monks may make good candidates, provided they have enough levels in a class that grants divine spells. Druids occasionally find the class's combat skills useful, but sorcerers and wizards find little to interest them.
Requirements[edit | edit source]
- Base attack bonus: +4 (note: +8 BAB is required for stunning fist, or 1st level Monk)
- Skill ranks: Lore 8
- Feats: Improved Unarmed Strike, Stunning Fist, Combat Casting
- Spells: Able to cast 1st-level divine spells
Class features progression[edit | edit source]
|Hit die: d8|
|Skill points: 4 + Int modifier|
|Class skills: Concentration, Heal, Lore, Spellcraft, Tumble|
|Base attack bonus progression: High|
|Saving throws||high:||Fortitude, Reflex|
Class Progression[edit | edit source]
|1||+1 divine spellcasting level, Unarmed damage, AC bonus +1, Code of Conduct|
|2||+1 divine spellcasting level|
|3||+1 divine spellcasting level, Fast movement|
|4||Sacred flames 1/day|
|5||+1 divine spellcasting level, AC Bonus +2|
|6||+1 divine spellcasting level, Uncanny Dodge, Fast movement|
|7||+1 divine spellcasting level|
|8||Sacred flames 2/day. Fast movement|
|9||+1 divine spellcasting level|
|10||+1 divine spellcasting level, Inner Armor, AC Bonus +3|
AC bonus[edit | edit source]
When unencumbered, wearing no or light armor and not using a shield a sacred fist gains a +1 AC bonus. This increases to +2 at level 5 and +3 at 10.
Note: Though not mentioned in the description, this has the added benefit of allowing you to retain both your light armor bonus and your Monk AC bonus (see below). This only functions if the PC already has Monk levels.
Sacred Fist Code of Conduct[edit | edit source]
Sacred fists have vowed to refrain from using weapons. Whenever a sacred fist equips any weapon they suffer a -8 attack penalty.
Note: As of v1.12, this penalty also applies to Wild Shape.
Fast movement[edit | edit source]
At level 3 a sacred fist gains a +10ft speed bonus. At level 6 this becomes +20ft, at 8th +30ft. Wearing medium or heavy armor or encumbrance disables this bonus. If the sacred fist also has monk levels then the levels stack for the purpose of determining the speed bonus.
Sacred Fist fast movements works even in light armor, unlike Monk which only works in no armor (robes).
Spell progression[edit | edit source]
When a new sacred fist level is gained, except at 4th and 8th level, the character gains new spells per day as if he had also gained a level in a divine spellcasting class he belonged to before adding the prestige class. He does not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained, except for an increased effective level of spellcasting. If a character had more than one divine spellcasting class before becoming a sacred fist, he must decide to which class he adds the new level for purposes of determining spells per day.
Unarmed damage[edit | edit source]
Sacred flames[edit | edit source]
At 4th level, a sacred fist may use a standard action to invoke sacred flames around his hands and feet. These flames add to the sacred fist's unarmed damage. The additional damage is equal to the sacred fist's class levels plus his wisdom modifier (if any).
Half the damage is fire damage(rounded up), and the rest is sacred energy and thus not subject to effects that reduce fire damage. The sacred flame lasts for 1 minute and can be invoked once per day. At 8th level, sacred flames can be used twice per day.
Note: as this damage is applied to the character, it (ironically) affects any worn weapon, and is not subject to damage resistance.
Uncanny Dodge[edit | edit source]
Inner armor[edit | edit source]
At 10th level, a sacred fist may use inner armor once per day. This provides +4 sacred bonus to AC, +4 sacred bonus to all saves, 25 spell resistance for a number of rounds equal to his wisdom modifier.
Gameplay notes[edit | edit source]
- The ability of Sacred Fists to wear light armor without penalties to AC or movement will also allow them to retain all Monk special abilities that would otherwise be lost while wearing light armor (namely - Fast Movement, AC bonuses and Flurry of Blows); this will occur despite the in-game message which states, "Equipping this armor has disabled your monk abilities." Specifically, once the PC multi-classes to a Sacred Fist for the first time, their prestige class ability to wear light armor without penalties will override the Monk's inability to do so, provided the PC was a Monk first. If the PC was not a monk first but becomes one later such an override will not have been possible and, therefore, this benefit will not apply (although it's not clear if this benefit was intended or is a bug).
- Since Sacred Fists always receive at least light armor proficiency from their prerequisite divine spellcasting class, this essentially means a free AC bonus of up to 5 for strength-based Monks wearing (for example) Mithral Breast Plate or a Chain Shirt.
NWN comparison[edit | edit source]
- This class did not exist in NWN1 (but was included in the fan-made PRC pack).