"The dragon has horns extending back over the neck, frilled ears, and smaller horns at the cheeks and chin, with rows of horns over the brows. The nose is beaklike and sports a small horn. A frill begins behind the head and runs to the tip of the tail. The dragon reeks of smoke and sulfur, and its scales shine with shades of crimson and scarlet."
Red dragons are covetous, evil creatures, interested only in their own well-being, vanity and the extension of their treasure hoards. They are supremely confident of their own abilities and are prone to making snap decisions without any forethought. The most powerful of the chromatic dragons, red dragons breathe a cone of fire. Red dragons love to make their lairs in deep, underground caves in mountainous regions, especially if there is volcanic activity. Almost all red dragons simply must have a high perch. The higher the better as they believe that their domain encompasses all that they can see.
The small scales of a wyrmling red dragon are a bright glossy scarlet, making the dragon easily spotted by predators and hunters, so it stays underground and does not venture outside until it is more able to take care of itself. Toward the end of young age, the scales turn a deeper red, and the glossy texture is replaced by a smooth, dull finish. As the dragon grows older, the scales become large, thick, and as strong as metal. The neck frill and wings are an ash blue or purple-gray toward the edges, becoming darker with age. The pupils of a red dragon fade as it ages; the oldest red dragons have eyes that resemble molten lava orbs.
Traits[edit | edit source]
- Dragon 20
- Always chaotic evil
- Damage reduction 15/+1
- Immunity to fire, paralysis, sneak attacks, and mind-affecting spells
- Vulnerable to cold (50%)
- Spell Resistance 28
- True Seeing
- Weapon Proficiency (creature), Cleave, Power Attack, Great Cleave, Improved Initiative, Iron Will, and Lightning Reflexes feats
- Fire breath attack, aura of fear
- Casts Acid Fog, Cat's Grace, Charm Monster, Cure Moderate Wounds, Darkness, Dispel Magic, Feeblemind, Haste, Heal, Invisibility, Magic Missile, Restoration, Shield at caster level 13 once per day
Notes[edit | edit source]
- The red dragons in NWN2 are by default considered "old" dragons by age.