Protection from Arrows
|Spell level :||Innate level: 2, Sorcerer/Wizard: 2|
|Components :||Verbal and Somatic|
|Duration :||1 Hour * cLevel|
20 Rounds (cLevel)
|Spell resistance :||No|
Description[edit | edit source]
Protection from Arrows provides its target with damage reduction of 10/magic against range weapons. The spell can absorb 10 points of damage per caster level, to a maximum of 100 points of damage, and ceases after absorbing that much damage.
If you cast this on a target who already has the spell effects, the previous casting is immediately removed.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- This spell actually provides total damage reduction of 10/ against any ranged attacks. The variable used is "DR_TYPE_NON_RANGED" - meaning spells are unaffected, as are melee weapons, which act as if it isn't there.
- For a mage, getting into melee is the last thing they should be doing. This provides protection against the other forms of attack - ranged weapons, which can bypass any fighter protection you have. A useful spell and for a level 2 spell, provides a good scaled effect up to level 10.
- For party use, this provides useful low level protection (compared to its cousin Stoneskin, which is 2 levels higher) for a variety of uses. Apart from basic ranged weapon protection, it is most useful for low-armoured people who could be subject to heavy amount of ranged fire - Rogues, Bards Druids and Barbarians may be primary targets for it. If there is enough castings for the entire party, the long duration of 1 hour/level provides a long duration damage absorption spell.
- It is less useful against sneak attack using ranged weapon people, and if the person receiving the protection has really low armor class anyway, the 30-100 points of damage soon wears off, like Stoneskin, thus notes must be made that it is a compliment spell to some like Mage Armor, and not all powerful.
Notes (NWN1)[edit | edit source]
- This spell did not exist in NWN1.