Power Word Weaken
|Spell level :||Innate level: 3, Sorcerer/Wizard: 3|
|Duration :||See below|
|Spell resistance :||Yes|
Description[edit | edit source]
You utter a single word of power that instantly causes one creature of your choice to become weaker, dealing 2 points of damage to its Strength, whether the creature can hear the word or not. The specific effect and duration of the spell depend on the target's current hit point total, as shown below. Any creature that currently has 75 or more hit points is unaffected by Power Word Weaken.
- 25 or less hit points - Strength drain
- 26-50 hit points - lasts 1d4+1 minutes
- 51-75 hit points - lasts 1d4+1 rounds
Notes[edit | edit source]
This spell is nearly useless. A +2 loss of Strength only results in an overall -1 penalty to hit and damage. Furthermore, the hit point limitations make this spell so restrictive as to make its use severely limited. Compare this spell to the 1st level spell, Ray of enfeeblement and you quickly realize that the 1st level spell is far more useful. For comparison, the only differences are:
- Power Word version is Verbal only so can be cast in armor without the use of Still spell.
- Power Word version is in the Divination school of magic.
- Ray version can be empowered and extended.
- Ray version drains more strength normally (1d6 + 1 per 2 caster levels as opposed to 2).
Neither spell has a saving throw, both are short ranged, single-target spells, and both allow for spell resistance.