Hidden in the depths of the Underdark live the svirfneblin, or deep gnomes. Reclusive, suspicious, and resentful of intrusion into their cavern homes, the deep gnomes share little of the humor or openness of their surface cousins. The deep gnomes may be the world's stealthiest and most elusive folk. Centuries upon centuries of surviving the deadly perils of the Underdark have bred in this race an amazing gift for avoiding attention.
Level adjustment: +3. Deep gnomes are more powerful and gain levels more slowly than other races. It will take much more experience for a deep gnome to reach level 2 than it would for normal races, for example.
Size: Small -- As a Small creature, a gnome gains a +1 size bonus to Armor Class, a +1 size bonus on attack rolls, and a +4 size bonus on Hide checks, but he uses smaller weapons than humans use, and his lifting and carrying limits are three-quarters of those of a Medium character.
- Darkvision: Deep gnomes can see in the dark up to 120 feet.
- Stonecunning: +2 bonus to Search checks when inside.
- Spell Affinity (Illusion): Add +1 to the difficulty class for all saving throws against illusion spells cast by gnomes. This adjustment stacks with those from similar effects, such as the Spell Focus feat.
- Spell resistance: 11 + character level.
- Battle Training vs. Reptilians: +1 racial bonus on attack rolls against kobolds and lizardfolk.
- Battle Training vs. Goblinoids: +1 racial bonus to attack rolls against goblinoids (including goblins, hobgoblins, and bugbears).
- Slippery Defense: +4 dodge bonus to Armor Class against all opponents.
- Durability: +2 racial bonus to all saving throws.
- Skill Affinity (Listen): +2 racial bonus to Listen checks.
- Skill Affinity (Craft Alchemy): +2 racial bonus to Craft Alchemy checks.
- Spell-Like Abilities:
The +4 size bonus on Hide checks and three-quarters carrying limits for small characters are not shown on the character sheet and are not enforced in game play.