|Spell level :||Innate level: 2, Bard: 2, Cleric: 2, Sorcerer/Wizard: 2, Other: Drow and Tiefling racial spell|
|Duration :||6 sec. * cLevel|
1 Round (cLevel)
|Spell resistance :||Yes|
This spell causes shadowy illumination to radiate out to a 20 foot radius. All creatures in the area gain concealment (20% miss chance). Even creatures that can normally see in such conditions (such as with darkvision or low-light vision) have the miss chance in an area shrouded in magical Darkness. All lights (torches, lanterns and so forth) are incapable of brightening the area, including light spells. Darkness counters or dispels any light spell of equal or lower level.
- This spell does not have a somatic component and can therefore be cast in any armor and not subject to arcane spell failure
- Despite the in-game description, spell resistance does not apply when this spell cast on an area (as compared to a target creature, see bug notes below)
- The game manual description for being under the effect of darkness (page 54) reads as: "When surrounded by magical darkness, you are considered blinded when trying to see others, but you are also invisible to them – unless their vision can penetrate the darkness." However, these effects have not been implemented in NWN2, specifically:
- Characters will not be blinded by darkness
- Attacking while in darkness will let enemies notice you in rounds you attack
- This spell should be penetrated by the following, but is not:
- the Ultravision spell (cut from the game, but is included in the toolset, see NW_S0_DarkVis.nss)
- the Warlock invocation Devil's Sight (currently bugged, granting only darkvision)
- Only Blindsight will confer immunity to darkness; no other feat, ability or spell will do so - although characters with blind fight may use darkness to their advantage
- The potion version of this spell does not work
- Line 54: This spell doesn't use the NWN2 ApplyMetamagicDurationMods() and ApplyMetamagicDurationTypeMods() functions.
On Enter: NW_S0_DarknessA.nss
- Line 56 / 67: This spell has "Spell Resistance: Yes" in the description. Despite this, spell resistance doesn't actually apply - apart from darkness spell immunity. However, doing it with ResistSpell() will mean spell mantles get used up by this spell but do not affect it being applied, and spell resistance could be done giving the impression that it could be stopped by it, but isn't.
Also, the spell resistance lines also need to use the AOE creator - GetAreaOfEffectCreator() - since OBJECT_SELF will cause errors.
DnD 3.5 Darkness
Description: This spell causes an object to radiate shadowy illumination out to a 20-foot radius. All creatures in the area gain concealment (20% miss chance). Even creatures that can normally see in such conditions (such as with darkvision or low-light vision) have the miss chance in an area shrouded in magical darkness. Normal lights (torches, candles, lanterns, and so forth) are incapable of brightening the area, as are light spells of lower level (such as light or dancing lights). Higher-level light spells (such as daylight) are not affected by darkness.
If darkness is cast on a small object that is then placed inside or under a lightproof covering, the spell's effect is blocked until the covering is removed.
Darkness counters or dispels any light spell of equal or lower spell level.